Intuitively, we all know the benefits of business capabilities mapping! Business capabilities as an architectural construct and business capability mapping as an integral part of business architecture are here to say. This Capstera article provides the top business capabilities mapping benefits.
Business Capabilities Mapping Benefits: The top ten list
- Links Execution to Strategy:
- Associate which capabilities support the strategy pillars.
- Align funding to core capabilities
- Assign, measure and monitor key performance indicators
- Competitive differentiation by focusing on Core Capabilities:
- Invest in core capabilities and leapfrog competition
- Standardize the context capabilities and outsource the commodity capabilities
- 360 Degree view of the Enterprise:
- Coherent and comprehensive view of business motivation, capabilities, processes, data, and resources
- Ability to understand interconnectedness, overlaps, and synergies
- A Common Language:
- Provide business and IT an actionable framework and a common language
- Communicate across the organization that is devoid of business speak and technical geek
- Better Business Definition: Business architecture help provide a better business definition which leads to effective and efficient technology solutions
- Fosters Reuse of IT assets: Build once and use the IT assets many times by leveraging capabilities and processes and Lego blocks
- Helps breaks down Business Silos, and hence IT silos: Focusing on conceptualizing, creating, managing and evolving capabilities over the long-term will help defocus annual funding cycles and siloed functionality development
- A Capability centric Organization design: Creating an organization around clusters of standard capabilities, complemented by centers of excellence and communities of practice, will help focus organizational resources on core capabilities.
- Footprint analysis leads to Portfolio Rationalization: A capability to system/application heat map allows for understanding the footprint, leverage, and redundancy of applications in orchestrating capabilities and processes, which in turn will help enterprises make intelligent portfolio optimization decisions.
- Speeds Time to Market: Reusing existing capabilities as foundational building blocks allow for faster time to market thus enhancing enterprise agility.
Those are our top ten benefits of business capability mapping and business architecture. What are yours? Please share if you’ve any other benefits that are worth mentioning.